Re: Query Performance and IOWait

From: Frank Wiles <frank(at)wiles(dot)org>
To: pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com
Cc: ajanian(at)scottrade(dot)com, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query Performance and IOWait
Date: 2004-11-19 21:13:37
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:14:00 -0500
Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com> wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> Dell's aren't well known for their disk performance, apparently most
> of the perc controllers sold with dell's are actually adaptec
> controllers. Also apparently they do not come with the battery
> required to use the battery backed up write cache ( In fact according
> to some Dell won't even sell the battery to you). Also Dell's
> monitoring software is quite a memory hog.
>
> Have you looked at top ?, and also hdparm -Tt /dev/sd?

I haven't seen any PERC controllers that were really Adaptec ones,
but I for one quit buying Dell RAID controllers several years ago
because of poor Linux support and performance.

On one machine (not a PostgreSQL server) we saw a 20% speed
improvement by switching to software raid.

If you have a test machine, I would suggest moving the data to a
box without a RAID controller and see if you get better results.

Frank Wiles <frank(at)wiles(dot)org>
http://www.wiles.org