Re: List of regional contacts up, please revise!

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: List of regional contacts up, please revise!
Date: 2004-11-19 00:01:17
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Simon,

> Of course it does not. Thats a contentious way of phrasing a potentially
> sensitive issue, and I am not happy about that phrasing. Nobody said
> anything about lumping anybody together with anyone, and I was at pains
> to use the official name of ROI, to ensure respect to that country. I
> presume you meant no offence, so will say no more.

Sorry! Taking pains to be sensitive about an issue, instead I was offensive.

> If anybody wishes to veto my suggestion, I have no problem. I also said
> "until we find a better spokesperson". Less is better for me, but not
> for PostgreSQL: You've edited out my reason for bringing this up:
> there's 100 million people in European countries who don't have a
> spokesperson listed. I've only suggested taking on some of the smaller
> ones off that list.

Well, I was hoping to get other people's opinions on this. I'm of two minds
myself; I'd like to hear some other people weigh in. If I didn't think it
was worth discussing, I wouldn't have posted a lengthy reply.

> I wouldn't ever presume to speak about any country other than my own,
> but I can speak about PostgreSQL in my almost fluent English, which is
> the first or second language in all of those I mention. The alternative
> is to appear not to care about those countries.

Could be, what do people think?

> > Mexico & Central America Alvaro
> > Pacific Islands Gavin
> > East Asia Shridhar or JPUG
>
> Yes, definitely. My focus was on the "EMEA region" and Europe in
> particular.

I'm also wondering about Asia. Unlike Europe, SE Asia (at least) does not
tend to share common "second lanugages" so I'm wondering if recommending a
contact in Japan or India is any better than recommending no contact at all.

--Josh

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus