Re: BUG #1325: like error

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: gregory <gperuch(at)citer(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1325: like error
Date: 2004-11-18 14:18:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, PostgreSQL Bugs List wrote:

> select * from tbinvoicerows
> where invoicecd = 'FLOCAA00000025'
>
> result in 0 seconde with 2 records NO BUG
>
> select * from tbinvoicerows
> where invoicecd like '%FLOCAA00000025%'
>
> result in 40 secondes with 2 records NO BUG
>
> select * from tbinvoicerows
> where invoicecd like 'FLOCAA00000025%'
>
> result in 40 secondes with 2 records BUG
> Bug : the result is good but I expect a result faster as the first select
> (like in mssql 7)

To add to the reply already given...

If you're running in "C" locale, the last should be able to use a normal
index on invoicecd. However, since that didn't appear to happen, either
it's estimating a large number of rows which is unlikely or you are in
some other locale.

For other locales, you may want a pattern_ops index, which would be
something like:
create index foo on tbinvoicerows(invoicecd varchar_pattern_ops).