Re: MAX/MIN optimization via rewrite (plus query

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)coretech(dot)co(dot)nz>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MAX/MIN optimization via rewrite (plus query
Date: 2004-11-11 17:59:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 09:29:14 +0000,
Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 22:48, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> > Planning for future note: I would like whatever mechanism that is added
> > for this MAX/MIN stuff to be amenable to more subtle things like
> > aggregate navigation (see R.Kimball's article
> > http://www.dbmsmag.com/9608d54.html).
> >

> With you on that one...

I disaggree. What that author is suggesting is orthogonal to what is being
proposed by Mark. That article is really suggesting a varient of materialized
views where you can use the normal aggregate notation instead of having
to use a special column name to get access to an aggregate in the
materialized view.