Re: ODBC Driver stability

From: Jaime Casanova <systemguards(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Gary Doades <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk>, Markus Donath <donath(at)netapps(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC Driver stability
Date: 2004-11-10 21:00:49
Lists: pgsql-odbc

--- Gary Doades <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk> escribió:
> Markus Donath wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > i have also tested several PGSQL ODBC driver
> versions with Windows 2000, IIS
> > (the Windows webserver) and ASP.
> > Version 7.3.2.0 runs best in a multithreaded
> environment, but it is still
> > not 100% stable.
> > The webserver sometimes hangs (depends on the
> load) so that the process
> > needs to be killed.
> > All in all, the Postgres ODBC driver does not fit
> our needs for stability,
> > and as the posts in this newsgroup show, there is
> no development going on.
> > To me, it looks like no one here uses the
> ODBC-driver for server
> > applications with windows.
> > Our conclusion is that Postgres is not usable with
> ODBC on windows, and no
> > stable driver will be available soon. We are going
> to switch a different
> > database. To bad, as the database itself runs fast
> and stable.
> >
> > bye bye postgres !
> >

> I have to admit that I have not had any problems
> with 7.3.2.0 and I have
> hit it pretty hard. In real-load tests with around
> 100 concurrent
> connections from an ASP.NET server ticking over at
> around 12 connections
> per second on average, ODBC pooling on, with a good
> mix of
> selects/update/inserts it has not hung at all.
>
> How do you know that it is the ODBC driver itself
> that is hanging the
> web app?
>
> Cheers,
> Gary.

Actually the v8.0.0.2 is completely unstable not the
same with v7.3.2 that has proben to be very stable at
least in my case. Are you sure you haven't
accidentally installed the v8 (maybe, you installed
pgsql8.0betaX and it installed psqlodbc (v8.0.0.2).

That happens to me and i was getting strange errors
until i find what happened.

regards,
Jaime Casanova