Re: PostgreSQL in the press again

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL in the press again
Date: 2004-11-09 20:23:10
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 09:13:00PM +0100, Thomas Hallgren wrote:

> Master + read-only slaves:
> - Slony-I when all sites are trusted
> - dbMirror for untrusted slaves and/or table based master slave assignment

You can do the table-based trick with Slony, too. In fact, AFAIK,
you can do it with every async system.

> - erServer ???

I don't know if anyone is stepping up to take over the BSD version,
but as far as I'm concerned, it's a dead letter. I know there is
some development going on with it at PgSQL, Inc, though.

> - C-JDBC, Will be transaction safe once PostgreSQL has XA
> - pgPool, not transaction safe ???

I think the latter would be, too, if Pg had XA.

The fact that technology doesn't work is no bar to success in the marketplace.
--Philip Greenspun