Re: Postresql RFD version 2.0 Help Wanted.

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Mike Cox <mikecoxlinux(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postresql RFD version 2.0 Help Wanted.
Date: 2004-11-09 10:10:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 12:55:06PM -0800, Mike Cox wrote:
> There is also the point of having to post. If I post and I subscribe to the
> digest version or if I post with the option of no emails (since my inbox
> cannot handle the load), how would I respond to a thread I created? Would
> I have to create a new thread for each response nameing the Subject with
> the previous one, and prefixing it with "RE:"?

Some mail readers allow you to insert the In-Reply-To: header, which
would make your posts match the previous thread. But it is irritating.
Besides, I like being able to see from the subject what a post is
about.

> A news reader is meant for the high amount of posts that many groups get.
> An email inbox is not meant to have hundreds of emails weekly (or daily in
> the case of KLM). Email is personal, so one knows that each messege is
> addressed to you and could be very important. In usenet, one can choose to
> follow threads created by themselves or with browse, knowing that if they
> miss an article it won't be something that can have a personal consequence
> like email.

I must have missed the memo, I've been receiving hundreds of email per
week for quite a while now and it works for me. Obviously, I configured
my client to optimise for this. I have several views setup, one which
shows only personal email, one which only shows unread, etc. With
subsecond switching times between views, it makes handling large
amounts of email very efficicent.

I used to like usenet for handling really large volumes, but I couldn't
customise any clients to allow me to manage it efficiently.

Anyway, this whole debate is about making the current mail-news gateway
setup legitimate, so maybe we should get back to the issue at hand.