How to allow a JDBC to connect to my postgres database

From: Kumar S <ps_postgres(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to allow a JDBC to connect to my postgres database
Date: 2004-11-08 17:26:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

Dear group,
my collaborator wants to connect his java
application to my database using JDBC. He is facing
problems in connecting to the database and reports
'port problems'.

Is there any crucial step for allowing a JDBC and
remote hosts to connect to database. Please suggest
some pointers or documentation.

Thank you,

Kumar