Re: create a text file from postgres (like Oracle UTL_FILE package)

From: Leo Martin Orfei <orfeileo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: PgSql General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: create a text file from postgres (like Oracle UTL_FILE package)
Date: 2004-11-06 12:52:09
Lists: pgsql-general

ok. I gonna explain a little more my situation.

I have a postgres server (Linux) and clients
(Win2k+delphi application).
I need create a text file with some columns from a
table in the server machine, but this file must be
created only when the user wants. (click button on my
delphi program on the client side create a text file
on the server file system).
I can't share o mount a resource or connect by socket.
I think execute a postgres function from delphi and
leave to postgres a work to create the file.

so, my problem is how to create a text file from a
postgres function. may be I can use a java program
(like Oracle Java Stored Procedures).
How I execute a external java program from postgres
function?
exist some OS system call in postgres?

something like
Create or Replace Function run () returns int4 as
begin
execute_OS_system_call('java -jar someapp.jar');
return (1);
end;

thanks