Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org
Date: 2004-11-04 04:55:11
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Justin Clift wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> <snip>
>> You might have hit it on the mark:
>
> Um, now I'm lost. Recompiling the main PHP binary without
> --enable-versioning was the winner?

Ya ... I think what happens is that when the main php starts up, the first
thing it does is goes through its 'extensions' to make sure they are part
of the same version ... *why* it would do it each and ever connection, vs
just when apache starts up, I don't know ... but, I'm on a dial-up link at
home and I can actually load wwwdevel.postgresql.org now, where before I
had enough time to go to the kitchen for a drink waiting for it to load

But, I also don't believe it was *just* that option ... the database was
slow, due to the need for the vacuum full, which was apparent with the
load times on the current site ...

But, after upgrading and restarting apache on all the VMs, with the change
to PHP, even the servers loadavg are all back down to 'normal' ...

What I suspect is that before the PHP maintainer "split up" teh extensions
to seperate ports each, instead of one built binary, he didn't have the
versioning enabled ... it was only because of the splits that he added it,
so it never affected us before ...

----