Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org?

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org?
Date: 2004-11-02 15:52:57
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Alexey Borzov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Dave Page wrote:
>>> Looking into this stuff offlist highlighted the following obvious
>>> problem: postgresql.org (as well as wwwdevel) runs on a shared server that
>>> has *lots* of other tasks that can negatively affect performance. It is
>>> difficult to even point finger at one particular task that does this.
>>>
>>> So the solution (as was also pointed out in a private mail to me) is to
>>> get a dedicated server for running the "master" website.
>>

>> A /dedicated/ server is *way* over the top as I pointed out in my
>> previous private message to you. The current site regens all 7000+ pages
>> in a few minutes for example. I agree though that we could use a little
>> more horsepower though - I'll see if I can setup something on one of my
>> boxes here over the next few days.
>
> "Dedicated" does not necessarily mean "dedicated to www only", but "dedicated
> to PostgreSQL project". Current infrastructure with shared servers was
> already found inadequate to run search, archives, etc.

You still haven't answered any of the questions that I asked in a private
email ... Is this a time of day issue (from your two samples, it looks
like it is)? If you set it up to run hourly, what do the #s look like for
each run throughout the day? What does the loadavg look like on the
server when you are running the script? Or is the database being slow?

Considering that Dave states above that the current script takes minutes
to generate >7000 pages, what are you doing differently that makes it so
much slower? And, why exactly are we changing from the current method if
the new method is going to require a dedicated server to run it?

----