== PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 1st 2004 ==

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: == PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 1st 2004 ==
Date: 2004-11-02 04:57:47
Lists: pgsql-announce

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 1st 2004 ==

After a flurry of activity last week, things settled down for our first week
of beta4. Of course if your hoping for things to stabilize, that is probably
a good sign; here is the list of changes for this week: Cygwin compiles for
timezones were fixed. We now force a checkpoint just before dropping a
databases physical files on win32, fixing a problem with dropping databases
reported on that platform. Logging was adjusted for checkpoint start and end
and recycling and removing log files. A problem with encoding conversion
errors in COPY was fixed. A new method with improved thread safety was added
for canceling queries in the backend and implemented in psql, enabling query
cancellation in psql for win32. Finally, some modifications were done to the
timestamp data types to better handle time zone offsets.

As the final release comes closer, we are also in need of people to help
translate release information into other languages. Those interested in
helping should review the call for help on the mailing lists this week
(http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2004-11/msg00000.php) and get
involved, it wont be too much longer now.

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

PostgreSQL wins Linux New Media Award for Best Database System
http://www.postgresql.org/news/236.html

PgWorksheet 1.4 released.

== PostgreSQL In The News ==

Data Warehousing Lessons Learned: A Time of Growth for Data Warehousing
http://www.dmreview.com/article_sub.cfm?articleId=1012461

Installing Bricolage
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2004/10/28/bricolage_installation.html

Top Five WordPress SQL Queries (blog)
http://joseph.randomnetworks.com/archives/2004/10/28/top-five-wordpress-sql-queries/

== PostgreSQL Events ==

Vanmtagem + Developers 2004: Lisbon, Portugal: November 15-19
Several sessions on PostgreSQL, relational modelling, SQL, and more.
http://www.v-developers.com

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 1st 2004 ==
On the Web:
http://www.postgresql.org