PQSQL - binary data question

From: Bastian Voigt <bastian(at)voigt(dot)in-berlin(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PQSQL - binary data question
Date: 2004-10-29 12:09:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Hallo List!

I just found this old posting on google. Now my question is how can I read an
integer value from the PGresult using the binary format? Can someone plz
gimme a code example? (please mail to me, because I have not subscribed to
the list)

Thanks a bunch! Now here's the old posting:

On Monday 27 October 2003 09:15, Tomasz Myrta wrote:
> Dnia 2003-10-27 00:08, UÅytkownik creid napisaÅ:
> > Problem: Assigning a COUNT(*) result into an integer variable in my C
> > program consistently fails except when I assign the same result to a char
> > variable. I can only assume that the internal data type the COUNT
> > function uses is integer.
> >
> > Can anyone help put me in the proper mindset so I may deal with this,
> > seemingly simple issue, to resolution.
> >
> > I need the integer result to to help me satisfy a dynamic memory
> > requirement... COUNT(*) result will tell me how many rows of data I need
> > to malloc and I cannot perform a math operation on a char variable.
>
> All libpq results are strings.
> some_int_value=atoi(PQgetvalue(...))

Not true anymore with protocol v3, which added the binary format. Text format
is still the default.