Re: pg_dump doesn't save correct the sequences

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Andrei Bintintan <klodoma(at)ar-sd(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump doesn't save correct the sequences
Date: 2004-10-28 06:22:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Andrei Bintintan wrote:

> I try to dump a database from a 7.4.2 postgre system and to import it on
> a 7.3.2. system, but I have a problem with the sequences in the dump.

In general, the above is not guaranteed to work. pg_dump will use features
of the dumping version so moving the dump to an earlier version is filled
with danger.

> This is a seq example:
>
> CREATE SEQUENCE test_id_seq
> INCREMENT BY 1
> NO MAXVALUE
> NO MINVALUE
> CACHE 1;
>
> This gives me an error when restoring on the 7.3 machine.

Looking at the documentation, it looks like NO MAXVALUE and NO MINVALUE
were added in 7.4.

> I don't know what happened, because last week I also put a dump from 7.4
> to 7.3 without any problems.

> A coelege from me made an application and some modifications in the 7.4
> database system, now I see that in every database there are these tables
> that weren't before: sql_features, sql_implementation_info,
> sql_languages, sql_packages, sql_sizing, sql_sizing_profiles.

I believe these are part of the SQL standard information_schema.