Re: Increase of Indian Names

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Vishal Kashyap (at) [Sai Hertz And Control Systems]" <vishalonlist(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Increase of Indian Names
Date: 2004-10-26 03:03:41
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 09:13:50AM +0800, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> >I have noticed a considerable names of Indian origin subscribing to the
> >lists.

> I have a theory about this. Basically, say that 1/100 programmers gets
> into open source. That means that as the Indian software industry takes
> off, 1/100 of those coders will get interested in open source. Since
> India has over a billion people, you can imagine that ultimately, MOST
> open source programmers will be Indian. Chinese as well.

Maybe also an effect of Novell having its Bangalore office dedicated as
a whole to the Gnome project, which in turn has some links to Postgres.

So, jumping to a different thread, maybe I'd propose talking to Gnome
people rather than Firefox for synergy ... and the Gnome project is
rather cooler anyway. Firefox kinda sucks IMHO :-D And gnome is
probably closer to needing Postgres services.

"World domination is proceeding according to plan" (Andrew Morton)