Reindexdb and REINDEX

From: "Rod Dutton" <rod(at)e-rm(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Reindexdb and REINDEX
Date: 2004-10-24 22:00:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

I have had some performance problems recently on very large tables (10s of
millions of rows). A vacuum full did make a large improvement and then
dropping & re-creating the indexes also was very beneficial. My performance
problem has now been solved.

My question is: will using the contrib/reindexdb or REINDEX sql command do
essentially the same job as dropping and re-creating the indexes. I.E. do
you get a fully compacted and balanced index? If so then I could use
contrib/reindexdb or REINDEX instead of drop/recreate.

How is concurrency handled by contrib/reindexdb and REINDEX (I know you can
create an index on the fly with no obvious lock outs)?

Thanks,

Rod