Re: [Slony1-general] Re: Slony-I 1.0.4 Released

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: slony1-general(at)gborg(dot)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Slony1-general] Re: Slony-I 1.0.4 Released
Date: 2004-10-22 20:48:43
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 09:36:10AM -0400, Jan Wieck wrote:
> wealth. And as long as Afilias is using Slony-I in production, Andrew
> Sullivan will not let me do whatever I want if there's a severe problem
> nobody else can fix.

Or someone around here will, anyway. I might get hit by a wayward
streetcar, but Afilias is very strongly committed to maintaining
and improving Slony-I even as we also sponsor work on multimaster
systems. Afilias uses PostgreSQL for almost everything we do;
for us, there is no question that we'll need to support Slony.

It's worth pointing out here that the really big database vendors
usually have more than one thing that they sell as "replication".
That's because you can't really use (for instance) RAC across a WAN.
But if you're running a bank, or network infrastructure, or a phone
company, or anything else that requires you to have plans for the
disaster recovery of your disaster recovery site, you'll certainly
need to have replicas which are geographically dispersed. That's why
we've assigned staff, aside from Jan, to keep working on Slony-I.
That's _also_ why we wanted, from the very beginning, to build a
community around Slony: we knew that we couldn't do it ourselves, if
only because our perspective is bound to be limited by our
experiences, and we wanted to make sure that we wouldn't build in
such limitations. I think we've been pretty successful in that
attempt, and I'm delighted that we've managed to attract many
really smart people to the project.

This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.
--Dennis Ritchie