Re: Postresql 8.0 Beta 3 - SELECT ... FOR UPDATE

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: "ronzo" <m(dot)ronzoni(at)nocerainformatica(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postresql 8.0 Beta 3 - SELECT ... FOR UPDATE
Date: 2004-10-22 12:41:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thursday 21 October 2004 06:44, you wrote:
> Hi
>
> Was already implemented the timeout on the "SELECT ... FOR UPDATE"
> (non-blocking lock) and/or is possible known if the lock exist on the
> specified ROW before executing the SELECT?

No.

> Please note: ours need is the timeout/verify at the ROW level, not at the
> table level.
>
> Is already OK? Is in the TODO list?
> May you suggest an alternative method?
>
> Thank you.

You would need a more extensive implementation of row level locks than
PostgreSQL currently offers. There have been discussions about this in the
past, but afaik no one is actively working on it. You can probably find more
info in the archives about it, also I believe it is on the TODO list, so you
might find some more detail by looking there.

--
Robert Treat