Re: Does PostgreSQL run with Oracle?

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Does PostgreSQL run with Oracle?
Date: 2004-10-21 22:11:00
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 10:19:48AM -0700, Steve Atkins wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 11:54:44AM -0500, Richard_D_Levine(at)raytheon(dot)com wrote:
> > My basic question to the community is "is PostgreSQL approximately as fast
> > as Oracle?"
>
> > I'm currently running single processor UltraSPARC workstations, and intend
> > to use Intel Arch laptops and Linux. The application is a big turnkey
> > workstation app. I know the hardware switch alone will enhance
> > performance, and may do so to the point where even a slower database will
> > still be adequate.
>
> I have found that PostgreSQL seems to perform poorly on Solaris/SPARC
> (less so after recent improvements, but still...) compared to x86
> systems - more so than the delta between Oracle on the two platforms.
> Just a gut impression, but it might mean that comparing the two
> databases on SPARC may not be that useful comparison if you're
> planning to move to x86.

As a point of reference, an IBM hardware sales rep I worked with a few
years ago told me that he got a lot of sales from Oracle shops that were
running Sun and switched to RS/6000. Basically, for a given workload, it
would take 2x the number of Sun CPUs as RS/6000 CPUs. The difference in
Oracle licensing costs was usually enough to pay for the new hardware in
one year.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant decibel(at)decibel(dot)org