Re: SQL 2003 conformance

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Troels Arvin <troels(at)arvin(dot)dk>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL 2003 conformance
Date: 2004-10-21 12:20:49
Lists: pgsql-docs

Troels Arvin wrote:
> An obvious question is how strict to be:

Very strict. SQL is a standard, not a guideline. If you can't type in
what it says, then it's not supported.

We make occasional exceptions in extreme cases. For example, we claim
to support aliases in the select list (E051-05), but we require the AS.
It would be unhelpful if we instead wrote that we don't support select
list aliases. But a comment should be added in these cases.

The other exception is that because of additional features that
PostgreSQL provides, some standard features may be restricted.
Additional reserved key words are an obvious example. But that is
allowed by the SQL standard.

--
Peter Eisentraut