Re: Additional Material for Press Page

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Additional Material for Press Page
Date: 2004-10-17 15:35:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Database Design: Database administrators can now change columns
> in-place to other compatible data types using ALTER TABLE.
> Declaration of columns with composite data types is now supported per
> the ANSI SQL99 specification.

"Declarations of columns with composite data types is now supported
according to the SQL standard."

SQL is a standard. SQL99 is old. SQL is also an ISO standard. So
let's keep it simple.

> Data Import/Export: The COPY command now supports the very common CSV
> file format, making imports and exports to other software easier.

Maybe spell out what CSV means. It's not *that* common, you know. :)

> Optimizer Improvements: The query planner and executor will now make
> use of indexes for compatible data types, greatly reducing the
> necessity to CAST constant values.

Do not capitalize cast here.

> This version also brings including improved index usage, better
> optimization of OR clauses, improved sampling for ANALYZE, faster
> TRUNCATE, and better planning of prepared query plans, as well as many
> minor improvements too numerous to count.

Too numerous to "mention", probably.

> Where to Download 8.0:
> Bittorrent
> List of FTP Mirrors
> Windows Installer (also available via Bittorrent)

The FTP mirrors as the most common method should probably be listed
first.

> Documentation:
> Official Docs

If I see "docs" one more time in official prose I'm going to cry. It's
"documentation".

> Graphical User Interfaces:
> pgAdminIII
> phpPGAdmin