Re: Inserting into table only if the row does not already

From: Steven Klassen <sklassen(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "C(dot) Bensend" <benny(at)bennyvision(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inserting into table only if the row does not already
Date: 2004-10-17 00:49:29
Lists: pgsql-sql

* C. Bensend <benny(at)bennyvision(dot)com> [2004-10-15 08:14:51 -0500]:

> Concurrency shouldn't be an issue - this is a perl script running
> from cron. The only concurrency that will ever happen is if I'm a
> bonehead and I run the script manually right as cron kicks off
> another copy.

Even cron'd scripts can run amok. Lock files are great as a CYA
measure even if you're relatively certain there will be no opportunity
for one copy to step on the next.

I once had a cron'd script mail upper management every hour I was on
vacation. You can imagine how long it was until I got another vacation
request approved. ;)

--
Steven Klassen - Lead Programmer
PostgreSQL Replication & Support Services, (503) 667-4564