Re: How many rows can postgresql can sustain

From: Oliver Fromme <olli(at)lurza(dot)secnetix(dot)de>
To: ps_postgres(at)yahoo(dot)com (Kumar S)
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org (pgsql-novice)
Subject: Re: How many rows can postgresql can sustain
Date: 2004-10-13 16:38:07
Lists: pgsql-novice

Kumar S wrote:
> I am wondering how many rows of data can postgresql
> efficiently deal with in comparision to Oracle that
> can deal with millions and millions of rows (I was
> told this fact by my senior).
>
> One of my table has 8876216 rows that look like:
> [...]

Two weeks ago I fed the German telephone book of 2002 into
a PostgreSQL database (for testing purposes). It was about
36 million rows and 8 GByte of data. Of course, the import
took a while, but there were no problems at all. I expect
PostgreSQL to cope with much more data than that.

Best regards
Oliver

"Clear perl code is better than unclear awk code; but NOTHING
comes close to unclear perl code" (taken from comp.lang.awk FAQ)