futex results with dbt-3

From: Mark Wong <markw(at)osdl(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: neilc(at)samurai(dot)com, swm(at)alcove(dot)com(dot)au, Stephen Hemminger <shemminger(at)osdl(dot)org>
Subject: futex results with dbt-3
Date: 2004-10-13 18:57:44
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi guys,

I have some DBT-3 (decision support) results using Gavin's original
futex patch fix. It's on out 8-way Pentium III Xeon systems
in our STP environment. Definitely see some overall throughput
performance on the tests, about 15% increase, but not change with
respect to the number of context switches.

Perhaps it doesn't really address what's causing the incredible number
of context switches, but still helps. I think I'm seeing what Gavin
has, that it seems to solves some concurrency problems on x86 platforms.

Here's results without futexes:
http://khack.osdl.org/stp/298114/

Results with futexes:
http://khack.osdl.org/stp/298115/