Re: OT? Database bridge for postgresql

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OT? Database bridge for postgresql
Date: 2004-10-11 17:20:08
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 10:29:36AM -0400, David Gagnon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on a online catalog right now. I'm using postgresql/java for
> the web site and the ERP in the company is a VB/MSSQL application. Is
> there a framework out there that allow database sychronization. I'm looking
> for an opensource/java framework.

It's not built for it, but I've sometimes thought you might be able
to modify erserver for these purposes. There's _plenty_ wrong with
the released erserver, and Real Soon Now I intend to tar up the CVS
HEAD and release it as the final iteration, on the grounds that
everything it currently does is done better by Slony-I. But I think
for any sort of synchronisation using Java, it might at least get you
started. Please be warned that, while Andrew Rawnsley did a lot of
work to clean up the code, it's still a dog's breakfast. There are
totally pointless, over-engineered abstractions all over the place.
This is not the fault of erserver _per se_, but of the programmer who
implemented it in Java.

The fact that technology doesn't work is no bar to success in the marketplace.
--Philip Greenspun