Re: signal 11 on AIX: 7.4.2

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: signal 11 on AIX: 7.4.2
Date: 2004-10-07 17:20:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 06:06:05AM -0400, Jan Wieck wrote:
> On 9/17/2004 7:32 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> >over time. I'm wondering about DNS lookup results in particular.
>
> Except for one "localhost", one "/tmp/.s.PGSQL..." and the "543x" lookup
> during the postmaster start, all lookups are IP addresses with
> AI_NUMERICHOST set. And we have checked with tcpdump that the box really
> does not issue DNS lookups.

Just for the sake of posterity, it appears that this is actually a
libc problem on AIX. In particular, there's a patched libc fileset
which was released to solve a problem where getaddrinfo() returns an
error on valid input. IBM's AIX support was unwilling to give us
libraries with debug symbols built in, but they did point me at a new
fileset for libc. We've been running a test load which fairly
consistently produced sig 11s before, and haven't seen one since. So
we don't have a perfect explanation, but it looks like this is the
cause.

The plural of anecdote is not data.
--Roger Brinner