Re: Aggregates ?? Datamart (to whatever it has implemented a DataMart using Postgres)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Esteban Kemp <ekemp(at)inf(dot)uach(dot)cl>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Aggregates ?? Datamart (to whatever it has implemented a DataMart using Postgres)
Date: 2004-10-01 18:28:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 07:04:50PM -0400, Esteban Kemp wrote:

Esteban,

> I'm building a Large DataMart with a big table and I want to improve
> the performace using aggregates I mean a set of table that store
> some specific aggregacion of the main table, like materialized
> views, I know that this feature is not implemented yet in postgres,
> And I see a interesting article to implementing this using a set of
> triggers, but I thing the big problem is not the rate of the updates
> or the real time consistence between both table, the main and the
> agregates. I thing the really problem is how to let it know to the
> RDMS engine that this aggregates exist!, I mean when I run a query I
> want to the Database engine run the query against the correct table.

I think you may be interested in reading "Materialized Views in
PostgreSQL" by Jonathan Gardner.

http://jonathangardner.net/PostgreSQL/materialized_views/matviews.html

You may also want to subscribe to the pgsql-es-ayuda, at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-es-ayuda. We can discuss further
there without the language barrier ...

Este mail se entrega garantizadamente 100% libre de sarcasmo.