RFC: HPUX IA64 Pgsql 8.0.0beta3 benchmark data

From: "Ed L(dot)" <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RFC: HPUX IA64 Pgsql 8.0.0beta3 benchmark data
Date: 2004-09-30 21:20:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Attached is a set of performance measurements attempting to compare 32-bit
executables against 64-bit executables using PostgreSQL 8.0.0beta3 on an
Itanium box running HPUX B.11.23 with 16GB of RAM, dbc_max_pct = 20%
(meaning a 3.2GB kernel buffer cache), and shmmax = 8gb. I haven't
analyzed the data in much depth yet.

The test script (also attached) was run with the postgresql.conf
settings (also attached), except that max_connections and shared_buffers
were varied as noted across the tests. I used pg_bench to measure TPS
(only numbers excluding connection time are included), and varied the
number of concurrent connections, transactions per connection. I have a log
that shows raw output from pgbench if anyone cares for it, ask and I'll
post it (30KB gzipped).

My own early observations are that the optimal setting for shared_buffers
for 32-bit in these tests is around 8192, while for 64-bit its more like
40K. 64-bit 8.0.0beta3 seems roughly equivalent in performance at the
smaller end of the loads I tested, while at the heavier loads, its
performance exceeded the 32-bit performance by a factor of 2. These
observations and all the test data come without any warranty, either
expressed or implied, whatsoever.

I'd be interested in any further analysis or observations.

Ed

Attachment Content-Type Size
results.20040930024413.gz application/x-gzip 14.9 KB
runtests.sh.gz application/x-gzip 913 bytes
postgresql.conf.gz application/x-gzip 3.8 KB