Re: Press release, hopefully final draft this time

From: Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Press release, hopefully final draft this time
Date: 2004-09-30 03:18:28
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 17:28, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:
> > one more tweak?

> > "PostgreSQL is distributed under a BSD license, which allows for use
> > and distribution without licensing fees of any kind in either
> > commercial or non-commercial applications."

> The correct verb here is "allow", not "allow for". "of any kind" is
> redundant.

Technically the for is a preposition in that clause and not part of the verb.
It does, however, weaken the meaning, since an adverbial prepositional phrase
is weaker than the direct objects use and distribution. Of any kind is
redundant when you understand what open source is. Some folks that we may be
targeting with the release may need to have it drilled into their thick
skulls (pardon the expression) in order to understand that it really IS free
(libre).
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology