Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Server unreliability

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Mitch Pirtle <mitch(dot)pirtle(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Server unreliability
Date: 2004-09-29 18:33:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Mitch Pirtle wrote:

> Hi Bruce, we met in Manhattan for your NYPHP presentation - I was the
> lone PostgreSQL cheerleader in the back ;-)
>
> You ask for proposals, no matter how radical, so here goes:
>
> o Location of servers
>
> Pending bandwidth requirements, I am willing to sponsor hosting of
> these sites, possibly on dedicated hardware. But I need some ideas of
> bandwidth usage so I can figure out which strategies make the most
> sense financially. BTW be glad your servers are not in Florida, I
> have one client that is in a significant amount of pain right now.

The server location is not changing, but thank you for your offer ...

> o FreeBSD
>
> I'm agnostic in this regard, but have experienced that Linux distros
> seem to be the easiest to maintain (Debian, Fedora).

Again, operating system isn't changing, but thank you for your offer ...

Both of the above issues that Bruce pointed out are being worked
on/addressed, just not as fast as Bruce would like to see happen ...

> o Web site
>
> I am a core developer on the Mambo project (www.mamboserver.com), and
> joined the core team primarily to implement database abstraction
> (currently tied to MySQL gasp!). Mambo has grown quite famous for
> being easy to use, has lightweight requirements, and has a huge 3rd
> party community that provides all kinds of extra goodies (forums, i18n
> support, commerce, you name it). I would happily volunteer the
> efforts to migrate the existing site to Mambo to make it easier for
> the core gang to keep the site current. I would also consider having
> PostgreSQL.org running Mambo being excellent incentive to prioritize
> the implementation of ADOdb ;-)

There is currently a re-write of the web site being worked on ... if you
wish to aid in that, please feel free to subscribe to pgsql-www, where the
discussions on this are taking place. Alexey(sp?) has spent a good deal
of time working on/cleaning up the backend code itself, and there has been
one site redesign proposal that I *believe* has been accepted already for
how the new site will look ... the fun part is trying to find man hours to
implement it :(

----