Re: Anything "time" critical on www.postgresql.org VM?

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: John Hansen <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Anything "time" critical on www.postgresql.org VM?
Date: 2004-09-27 14:16:10
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, John Hansen wrote:

>> rsync right now, unless you know of something better that works under
>> FreeBSD? I'd love to find something more 'real time', but haven't
>> been able to find anything that could be run on an existing server ...
>
> Doesn't FreeBSD have support for OpenAFS and/or CODA?

k, I looked at Coda, and liked the concept ... but, it looks like
something that, to implement, I'll have to setup before I put anything on
the server, I can easily move a server to it ... and, from everything I
read, I'm not 100% certain that it would even do what I wanted ... each
time I thought I found the answer, reading a bit further seemed to negate
it :(

The thing is, its really simple ... two servers, each with a large file
system (/vm) ... on that file system are subdirectories by company_id and
then domain under that ... a domain is active only on one server, so the
only thing being written to /vm/id/domain would be on one server, but
/vm/otherid/domain (or even /vm/id/otherdomain) ... so I want changes to
/vm/id/domain from ServerA 'replicated' to ServerB, and /vm/id/otherdomain
from ServerB to ServerA (which is what I'm doing with rsync) ...

I had looked at unison also, but it looked to have similar 'lag'
restrictions as rsync does, and some limitations as to the kinds of files
it could send back and forth ...

Using rsync, and some mods that Andrea (oicu) helped me with to
parrallelize it, I've been able to get granularity down to 5 minutes
instead of 15, at least based on 4 VMs right now taking ~150 seconds total
to keep in sync ...

----