Re: formating interval question

From: "Jesper K(dot) Pedersen" <jkp(at)solnet(dot)homeip(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: formating interval question
Date: 2004-09-24 12:20:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:58:44 +0100
mike(at)bristolreccc(dot)co(dot)uk (mike) wrote:

> I have an interval field which is used to calculate total hours.
> At present it outputs as days hours minutes
> Is there any way to output as total hours
> I have tried to_char(field,'HH:MM')
> but I get wierd results like -51 or -5

From the top of my head i think could probably to do something like
this:

extract(epoch from your_time_interval)/3600

It basically finds the "age" of your interval in seconds. The /3600 is
to find the result in hours.

If you for instance want the result with just one decimal like xxxx.y
then you can do it like this:

round(extract(epoch from your_time_interval)/360)/10

I hope this helps.

Best regards
Jesper K. Pedersen