Re: BUG #1266: Improper unique constraint / MVCC

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Alexey Fedorchenko <alexey_f(at)ukr(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1266: Improper unique constraint / MVCC
Date: 2004-09-24 14:36:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Alexey Fedorchenko wrote:

> Stephan!
>
> > This is a known issue with the unique constraint.
>
> Ok. Do you know any plans on this issue fix?
>
> > > --case 2 prepare
> > > --case 3 prepare
> >
> > I seem to get foreign key violations on both of these on both 7.4.x and
> > 8.0 cvs using the scripts you provided just by running them in psql. I
> > think you need to give more details about what you were trying.
>
> Hmmm....
> In the nearest couple of days i'll be able to check this under linux psql 8 beta 2 but under windows it is a repeatable.
>
> What is your target platform? *nix?

I was on linux, although I just installed 8.0b2 dev 3 to my windows box
and tried #2 and still got a success.

Are you sure that the constraint wasn't deferred and/or that you weren't
doing this inside a function? In the former case there's a reading of spec
question for the timing of the actions (are they on the statement or at
check time -- we've done the latter although a rereading implies that we
may have previously read it wrong) and the latter, up until Tom's very
recent patch, any AFTER triggers (or foreign keys) waited until the end of
the original statement from the user to run.