Re: pgsql-server: Fix TAS assembly stuff for

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql-server: Fix TAS assembly stuff for
Date: 2004-09-24 02:24:20
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 12:15:23PM +1000, Neil Conway wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 11:53, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Ideally I'd like it warning-free on everything, but I'm not sure how
> > practical that is. The main thing that non-gcc compilers tend to warn
> > about in my experience is "char *" vs "unsigned char *", of which there
> > are a lot of occurrences in and around the multibyte code. This does
> > not really seem worth cleaning up at the moment.
>
> Per the recent GCC 4.0 report on -hackers, it seems GCC4 will now warn
> about char * vs. unsigned char *, so perhaps it is time to clean that
> up...

I've read on some changelog that starting from 3.4 it also gives more
(and more correct) warnings about type punning and strict aliasing
violations. Could we also look at fixing those?

IMHO that's 8.1 material anyway ...

"Porque Kim no hacia nada, pero, eso sí,
con extraordinario éxito" ("Kim", Kipling)