Re: Multi Database queries

From: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory(at)campbell-lange(dot)net>
To: Ron St-Pierre <rstpierre(at)syscor(dot)com>
Cc: jonathon(at)octahedron(dot)com(dot)au, pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multi Database queries
Date: 2004-09-22 21:24:59
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 22/09/04, Ron St-Pierre (rstpierre(at)syscor(dot)com) wrote:
> >Yes, but, if your databases are all on one server under one postmaster
> >you should consider using one database with multiple schemas. See:
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-createschema.html
>
> We're using this for one of our projects and it really works well.
> Initially we had separate databases and queried them using dblink, but
> for our purposes multiple schemas works much better, and cross schema
> queries are as simple as any other queries. BTW if you are looking at
> setting up a new system, why not use 7.4.5 (or whatever the latest
> stable version is)?

I concur. Using schemas works very well. Another benefit is that you can
load your plpgsql functions into a schema and set your search path to
see it or perhaps another schema loaded with test functions.

eg "set search_path = data_schema, function_schema, global_schema;"
versus
eg "set search_path = data_schema, test_function_schema, global_schema;"

This can be a great way of testing your new functions against existing
data.

Rory