drop table bug and how to recover?

From: Myra Chachkin <myra(at)ack(dot)Berkeley(dot)EDU>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: drop table bug and how to recover?
Date: 2004-09-08 16:58:53
Lists: sfpug

Hi sfpug folks,

We're running postgres 7.4.1. I think I may have hit a drop table
bug? I created a table, then dropped it, but now get "relation
already exists" when I try to recreate it. There wasn't anything
weird about the table AFAIK, except that the rowid was defined with
a default nextval of another table's sequence (hence my drop). I
did this directly in the SQL monitor.

I found a few old postings from v.6.5.2 about problems dropping and
recreating a table, either because of the "int8" type, or when
dropping within a transaction and then rolling back. The int8
problem was supposedly fixed upon quitting and re-entering psql.
That doesn't work for me. The transaction problem was supposedly
fixed upon going to the /data/base/database directory, creating
empty files, and then dropping the table for real. I would try
this, but I'm not sure what to create in my /data/base directory; it
contains a bunch of numeric subdirectories that don't mean much to me.

Thanks for any advice!

Myra