Re: pgxs default installation + various fixes

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgxs default installation + various fixes
Date: 2004-09-03 15:05:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 10:42:30AM +0200, Fabien COELHO wrote:

> As I'm into these files, I can say that one of the reason for that is that
> the shell scripts in the makefile looks inefficient, with nested for-loops
> and one-at-a-time config/install-sh forked-script copies for 350 header
> files, on the 971 files of a standard installation.

Also the install-sh script apparently is way more complex than it needs
to be. There's probably a lot of that complexity (and subsequent
slowness) that install-all-headers doesn't need. A lot of time goes
into processing the script itself rather than doing useful work.

Is there an objection to trying to convert it to a simpler, faster
alternative? Maybe even one that receives multiple files as arguments,
which would reduce the number of times it is called by an order of
magnitude.

<Schwern> It does it in a really, really complicated way
<crab> why does it need to be complicated?
<Schwern> Because it's MakeMaker.