Re: Sixth Draft

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: josh(at)bitbuckets(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sixth Draft
Date: 2004-09-01 16:45:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 josh(at)bitbuckets(dot)com wrote:

> The following draft considers everyone's comments. I think the paragraph
> about history (moved to the end) needs more stuff.
>
> Thanks,
> --J
>
> August 24, 2004 - The PostgreSQL Global Development group today announced
> the availability of the 8.0 version of the PostgreSQL Object-Relational
> Database Management System, the most advanced open source database in the
> world today. With this new release, professional users have an
^^

should be just 'a', no? "a world-class" ... purely spelling, but if
we're trying to look professional, spelling does count ...

> world-class, scalable, open source database solution that does not
> sacrifice many of the conveniences provided by commercial products.
>
> PostgreSQL 8.0 contains many new features that make the database a strong
> contender against the likes of Oracle and DB2. Many companies, who view
> PostgreSQL as a strategic part of their overall I.T. plan, have sponsored
> development of the new features, which include:
>
> Native Windows Support: PostgreSQL now works natively with Windows
> systems and does not need an emulation layer. This provides dramatically
> improved performance over previous versions, and offers a compelling
> alternative to Microsoft SQL Server for independent software vendors,
> corporate users, and individual Windows developers.
>
> Savepoints: Savepoints allow specific parts of a database transaction to
> be aborted without affecting the whole transaction. This feature, funded
> by Fujitsu, is valuable for application developers who require error
> recovery within complex transactions.

Stupid question, and it may be just a terminalogy difference, but is there
a reason why we are focusing on just SavePoints, and not the whole Nested
Transactions thing? Or are they considered "same thing, different name"?

> Point In Time Recovery: PITR provides the ability to recover data to the
> point of failure or to any time in the past.
>
> Tablespaces: This feature, also funded by Fujitsu, allows the database
> administrator to choose which filesystems are used for schemas, tables,
> and indexes. This allows the administrator to place whole databases on
> separate disks to improve performance.
>
> Improved Memory and I/O usage: With this release of PostgreSQL, disk
> input/output subsystems have been improved to use shared buffers more
> effectively, yielding significant increases in speed and performance.
>
> There are also several new external components which complement the core
> PostgreSQL database engine:
>
> - Slony-I is a a "master-slave" replication system with cascading and
> failover capabilities funded by Internet domain registry Afilias.
> - PostgreSQL added to its roster of stored procedure languages with
> PL/PerlNG and PL/PHP which were sponsored by consultancy Command Prompt,
> Inc. as well as PL/Java and the .Net provider Npgsql.

I think it would be be easier to read if formated as:

- PostgreSQL added to its roster of stored procedure languages with:
- PL/PerlNG and PL/PHP (sponsored by consultancy Command Prompt)
- PL/Java
- .Net Provider Npgsql

the original formatting seems to 'bunch' it all ...

----