Re: log_filename_prefix --> log_filename + strftime()

From: "Ed L(dot)" <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Subject: Re: log_filename_prefix --> log_filename + strftime()
Date: 2004-08-31 05:07:24
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Monday August 30 2004 10:56, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Ed L." <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net> writes:
> >
> > Attached is a revised patch:
>
> Applied with minor revisions.
>
> > I did not add UTC offset logic nor logic to shift to top of the
> > hour/day for rotation periods of 60/1440 minutes, but would like to add
> > that shortly if time permits.
>
> I did the latter but not the former -- ie, rotation target times are
> rounded off, but rounded with respect to GMT not local time. I didn't
> see an obviously correct behavior of round-to-local-time across DST
> transitions ...

One idea for handling the round-to-localtime issue from the other end of the
problem: optionally rotate logs upon an *interpolated* filename change.
Then, 'server_log.%a' would cause a rotation when strftime() thinks it's
midnight local, 'server_log.%H' would rotate at the top of the hour, etc.
Possibly a half-baked idea.

I also noticed pg_tm.tm_gmtoff is apparently not set, at least not for my
local (US MT).

Ed