Re: Primary key inheritance problem

From: "Matthew M Davis" <mmd(at)teledavis(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Primary key inheritance problem
Date: 2004-08-29 17:07:39
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sunday 29 August at 12:34pm, Oliver Elphick had this to say:

> Primary and foreign key constraints are not inherited. This is a defect
> in the current system.

It almost seems like a FEATURE to me, since it creates a different and
easy way to create one-to-many relationships. But I didn't use it,
since the documentation says this is a Bad Thing that may be fixed
some day. If the child table inherits the primary key constraint from
the parent, why not just put it in the same table?

--

Matthew M Davis
<mmd(at)teledavis(dot)com>