Re: pgsql functions and transactions?

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Mike <1100100(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql functions and transactions?
Date: 2004-08-28 20:27:34
Lists: pgsql-novice

Mike,

I'm trying to do just this. I'm not a Linux guru and, frankly, can hardly qualify for Linux Schmoe...

So, this has been tough for me.

My toolset consists of...

1. This mailing list - lots of generous and folks here with lots of knowledge and experience.
2. Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL by Wrox (this may not even be available. if it is, contact apress.com for more information since they bought the rights to this title). The problem here is that it is somewhat outdated and this is the kiss of death when it comes to installation - very little help was provided, especially for WinXP. They have one chapter on interacting with PGSQL via PHP. Not much, but something. Even so, there is a lot of good PGSQL information once you get past installation.
3. PHP4 Databases by Wrox - This is mostly for learning PHP database concepts with limited direct PGSQL information.
4. Beginning PHP Programming by Wrox - Probably not necessary if you are already a PHP pro.
5. Wrox's SQL book - not necessary if no SQL.
6. Tutorials and newsgroups on the net. Lot of valuable information out there - although it is often confusing and, believe it or not, I couldn't find one tutorial in hours of looking that, faollowed step by step, actually installed and configured PGSQL on WinXP. One got close, but no cigar.
7. Last, but not least, check http://www.postgresql.org/ .

How will all this work? I don't know yet. I'm in the beginning stages, but I hope to learn a lot.

PS - I'm unaware of any PostgreSQL focused PHP books - and I've searched. Almost all are MySQL related.

Mike <1100100(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
Can anyone recommend a solid resource book for learning/using php in
conjunction with postgresql.

Thank you for your input.

Mike

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend