Re: from PG_DUMP to CVS

From: "Riccardo G(dot) Facchini" <abief_ag_-postgresql(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: from PG_DUMP to CVS
Date: 2004-08-26 11:48:37
Lists: pgsql-sql

--- Philip Warner <__> wrote:

> At 08:43 PM 26/08/2004, Riccardo G. Facchini wrote:
> >If you know of something even similar to what I'm looking for, let
> me
> >know.
>
> My thinking is to modify pg_dump to add a new output format, but I'd
> like
> to get some more feedback from others first, including yourself. Does
> what
> I specified before satisfy all your needs?

> Philip Warner | __---_____
> Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
> (A.B.N. 75 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_
> Tel: (+61) 0500 83 82 81 | _________ \
> Fax: (+61) 03 5330 3172 | ___________ |
> Http://www.rhyme.com.au | / \|
> | --________--
> PGP key available upon request, | /
> and from pgp.mit.edu:11371 |/

yes, I think a specific format for pg_dump could be interesting.
>From my point of view, I would like to get a directory structure like
this one:

<database name>
/schemas
/<schema name>
/<schema name>.sql
/tables
/<table name>.sql
/<view name>.sql
/functions
/<function name>.sql
/domains
/<domain name>.sql
/types
/<type name>.sql
/aggregates
/<aggregate name>.sql
/operators
/<operator name>.sql
/priming
/<table name>.sql
/acls
/schemas
/<schema name>
/<schema name>.sql
/tables
/<table name>.sql
/<view name>.sql
/functions
/<function name>.sql
/domains
/<domain name>.sql
/types
/<type name>.sql
/aggregates
/<aggregate name>.sql
/operators
/<operator name>.sql
/languages
/<language name>.sql

either following the pgadmin3 style or, better still, the ems
postgresql manager output style (I believe is superior, even if not
OS).

My feeling is that a lot of the code for an output of this kind is
already in the pgadmi3 code, so it could be a matter of codebashing.

I wouldn't separate the functions from the triggers, but beware of the
function overloading, but that's a small issue compared to the task.

best regards,

=====
Riccardo G. Facchini