Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =

From: Joel <rees(at)ddcom(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =
Date: 2004-08-25 01:58:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 David Wheeler wrote

> On Aug 23, 2004, at 10:25 PM, Joel wrote:
>
> > If the locale machinery iw functioning correctly (and if I understand
> > correctly), there ought to be a setting that would allow those to
> > collate to the same point.
>
> Bleh. There must be some distinction between them. It sounds like
> querying for synonyms.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. It's almost directly corollary to
ignoring case. (Almost, but not quite.) Kind of like querying with "TEST"
and getting records with "test".

> > I'm not sure what the settings would be, or if it's fully funtional
> > yet.
> > Maybe Tatsuo would know? (Hope he doesn't mind me CC-ing him.)
> >
> > So, what was the original language and text of the queries you started
> > this thread with?
>
> Korean, but the database I was using has data in 10 different languages
> in it, making any locale-specific collation useless.

Which means that the correct solution now is beyond the question of what
did the vendor think you would want. No way the vendor is going to be
willing to think you really want that, in spite of the number of people
who want precisely that. We don't yet have a mechanism that works for
general multiple language solutions.

At this point in time, "no locale" is probably close to best practice,
but it leaves you a lot of work.

--
Joel <rees(at)ddcom(dot)co(dot)jp>