Re: Postgresql 8.0 beta 1 - strange cpu usage statistics and slow vacuuming

From: Shelby Cain <alyandon(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql 8.0 beta 1 - strange cpu usage statistics and slow vacuuming
Date: 2004-08-24 18:00:00
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers-win32

--- Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> IIRC, vacuum fsyncs once per table (possibly more
> depending on whether
> you add FULL, ANALYZE, etc). Not clear what case
> you are considering
> exactly.

Vacuum and Vacuum full. The script I attached to a
this workstation) creates and populates a single table
via a stored procedure, updates approximately half the
rows and then executes a vacuum followed by a vacuum
full.

The insert and update commands execute far faster
(showing 5-10 megs of disk transfer per second on
average) than both the vacuum and vacuum full (showing
512k to 1meg of transfer per second).

Regards,

Shelby Cain