Re: PGSQL and XML

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGSQL and XML
Date: 2004-08-24 21:55:37
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hey,

> Should I evaluate XML and XSL to see if it makes more sense using it than
> PHP scripting?

That's completely up to you. I will point out, though, that:
a) XML is a document spefication, not a programming language, so I am highly
suspicious of attempts to turn it into one. This is not a statement on the
products referenced, as I've never seen them in action, just a statement that
you should evaluate them skeptically.
b) at least 50% of the value of any programming language is in the community
and modules available for it. This makes Java and Perl more valuable than
PHP and Ruby, and any of those much more valuable than BOX, currently. Of
course, things change.

>Is keeping the business logic separate from the
> presentation important enough to switch technologies (at least I'm at the
> beginning stages)?

It is important, but it can certainly be done in PHP. Use OO-PHP. Or use
stored procedures (functions) for your business logic; I'm fond of that
approach with PHP.

> What is this Box stuff?

Never heard of it before your e-mail.

--