Re: PITR: XLog File compression on Archive

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PITR: XLog File compression on Archive
Date: 2004-08-23 22:27:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 12:05:33AM +0200, Gaetano Mendola wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>
> >As a result, I have thought that there may be a way to remove those pages
> >from the xlog files immediately before being copied away to archive,
> >without effecting crash recovery logic AT ALL.
>
> So this means that the way to have an "hot spare" postgres that play
> the logs while are arriving is not applicable anymore ?

No, it doesn't. Your scheme can still work; it will just have less work
to do.

Basically the point here is skipping the restoration of whole pages. In
a non-crashed scenario there's no need to restore them, because it is
only used if the system happenned to crash while there was a write in
progress. Supposedly this cannot happen on your hot-spare system.

"La persona que no quería pecar / estaba obligada a sentarse
en duras y empinadas sillas / desprovistas, por cierto
de blandos atenuantes" (Patricio Vogel)