Re: BUG #1208: Invalid page header

From: "Robert E(dot) Bruccoleri" <bruc(at)stone(dot)congenomics(dot)com>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: bruc(at)acm(dot)org, peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, bruc(at)stone(dot)congenomics(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, hubert(dot)froehlich(at)bvv(dot)bayern(dot)de
Subject: Re: BUG #1208: Invalid page header
Date: 2004-08-17 21:15:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Dear Tom,

> "Robert E. Bruccoleri" <bruc(at)stone(dot)congenomics(dot)com> writes:
> > Besides a no optimization compilation of 7.4.3, what else
> > would you recommend to explore this problem further? Thanks. --Bob
>
> I really haven't the foggiest where to look :-( I don't actually
> believe that it's a spinlock problem; that would explain pages getting
> substituted for other pages, in whole or in part, but you showed at
> least one example where a page was just overwritten with garbage.
> That looks more like a memory-stomp problem (again, assuming that it's
> software) and so could be anywhere.

Does the memory pattern in the garbage page look familiar?

> Are you using any off-the-beaten-track code (contrib modules,
> non-btree indexes, non-mainstream data types)? That stuff is less
> well debugged than the mainstream ...

No, it's all standard stuff (text, integers, floats, etc.).

Thanks. --Bob

| Robert E. Bruccoleri, Ph.D. | email: bruc(at)acm(dot)org |
| President, Congenair LLC | URL: http://www.congen.com/~bruc |
| P.O. Box 314 | Phone: 609 818 7251 |
| Pennington, NJ 08534 | |