Re: add-ons and kernelization was Time to work on

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: add-ons and kernelization was Time to work on
Date: 2004-08-17 07:59:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Am Montag, 16. August 2004 17:18 schrieb Chris Browne:
> What strikes me as more interesting is to see what the packagers for
> some reasonably small subset of package-oriented systems wind up
> doing. Let's consider the set of PostgreSQL "add-ons" that are known
> to be well-packaged for all of:
> [various operating systems]

The overall trend is that community-maintained operating systems (e.g.,
Debian, FreeBSD, Gentoo) have a complete set of PostgreSQL add-ons packaged,
whereas the commercial distributors of free operating systems tend to do more
poorly, more so in the "enterprise" variants, which have an even more
restricted set of packages. Still, you can easily google for more add-on
packages from third-party sites.

Really, the availability is not the problem, it's the organization on the
provider side and the public impression created by it.

--
Peter Eisentraut