Re: New coloumns

From: Kumar S <ps_postgres(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New coloumns
Date: 2004-08-16 15:27:18
Lists: pgsql-novice

Thank you for your reply Sean. could you let me know
or point me to a place where the SQL commands are
given to add columns to an existing table.
thank you.

Kumar

Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov> wrote:Kumar,

While it is possible to add columns to tables, it may
be a better idea to
design your database slightly differently. For
example, if you have a data
associated with project A that gets stored into a
table and there is a
possibility of having projects B and C with data for
the same table, instead
of adding Project B column and Project C column, it
makes more sense to have
a column in the original table design called Project.
In that column, you
store "A", "B", and "C", etc., allowing the table to
grow to any number of
projects. Thus, instead of making extra columns,
simply add a key column
and your database becomes much more general and
useful.

Sean