Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>, Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>, olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dan Langille <dan(at)langille(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-14 18:27:31
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> source code ... again, that's for those building from source ... but
> even for packagers, it would be nice to have a "build/libpq" RPM that
> only included the client libraries, header files and pgxs, and not
> all the exra binaries ...

As a packager, I can tell you that nothing would be easier for packagers
than just one huge tarball being released every two years. The more
smaller tarballs you release, the more likely you're going to have
dependency problems, which, at least in my world, is the first thing
you want to avoid when packaging.

--
Peter Eisentraut